Saturday, November 17, 2012

Time Marches on-whether we want it to or not

I'm at an age now where I look at the calendar and think, "How the Hell did it get to be this month...Whatever happened to the months before?" Time has a way of flying at warp speed now.  I remember when I was younger I would wish the days would hurry up and get over.....I always wanted something that was scheduled for later in the week/month/year.  Now, I wish time would slow so I could figure out what to do with the next thing that's presented itself to me. 

Things are so damned complicated today.  Gone are the simpler times. Now we have all sorts of "things" grabbing at our time and energy.  Even if you try to slow things down, you can't....there's always something that pops it's head up and stops you from doing what you want to do. It's nuts...

I went to the phone store....(When did we ever have a "phone store" in the past)....I needed a new phone and it was time to get into the 21st century. I spoke to all sorts of folks about what kind of phone to get before I entered the hallowed halls of the "phone store".  I was advised to buy some kind of smart phone that would allow me to do anything I wanted electronically, you know, stay in touch with everyone (but I don't want to stay in touch with everyone), I can get all my e-mails at all times, (who cares about that?) people would always be able to get hold of me at all times with this hotsy-totsy new phone (do I really need to have people get hold of me at all times, I ask you? I think not). there were apps to do all kinds of things....Why?  For what reason did I need all this stuff?  I did need one thing and it was a normal part of the phone, nothing hotsy-totsy about texting ability. 

The folks in the store wanted me to buy the newest and best of the phones they sold.  They tried in vain to sell me what they thought I wanted....I wanted something user friendly and easy, not complicated and up to the minute newest and greatest.  After an hour and a half they gave in... I got a simple, regular basic phone.  But why did I have to go through the fires of Hell to get what I wanted?

Everywhere I go, I find things are not all that easy to complete these days. There's always more to do than you anticipate.  You plan to do something and without a doubt something or someone stands in your way and you can't do what you planned on doing.

Oh well that may just be the way life is now and I have to learn to adapt...but I don't have to like it.....

No comments: