Sunday, May 13, 2007

What to wear, What to wear

You know guys have it great. They can pack for trips in no time at all. They need a pair of jeans, a pair of Khaki's ( or something like that), a button down shirt, golf shirt or tee shirt, a couple of pairs of underpants, socks, shoes, a light jacket and maybe sneaks. With that assortment they can go and do almost anything. Yes, of course they need their toiletries, (what? deoderant, a razor, toothbrush and toothpaste? Big whoop...) but they can get along with these few things and be away for a week or two. Women on the other hand have a bit more difficulty. Now don't get all worked up and tell me: 1. That I don't know how to pack. 2. That I don't need so much stuff. 3. That I don't need all those shoes...Let me explain what I, and many of my friends who have discussed this with me at length, say about this topic. We have to wear things that are comfortable but at the same time these items must conform with the culture we're visiting. (and yes I'm talking about all the cultures we have in this world including the bunch we have in this country alone.....in the south you wear brighter, lighter clothing. The north, you wear duller warmer clothing on top of other duller, warmer and bulkier clothing, The midwest you wear matching outfits, the west it's denim and rhinestones, the far west...well you know, just about anything goes out there. Once you determine where you're going then the fun really starts, figuring out what to pack.As a woman of substance, both in stature and age, there are things I don't wear, no cutesy thongs, tube tops, bikinis, short shorts, ripped denim jeans, tops cut to the navel, or dresses that look as if they're made for my three year old granddaughter. That's just stupid to wear that stuff at my age. ( Oh stop... you know as well as I that a fat woman doesn't look great in a bikini nor a tube top, and don't get me started about butt floss....). My wardrobe is not considered conservative by any means but it's not on the edge either.

For this trip I'm taking I want to be sure to bring enough clothing to handle all the events I may be going to but not so much that I won't be able to carry anything. It's difficult to make decisions on clothing when I'm not sure what I am going to be doing. Consequently, I will more than likely bring too much but who cares....

No comments: